Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Melton's "Look In The Mirror" Comment Not Aimed At Fans

Both Dirk Melton and Adam Lucius, the writer of the article quoted below, have informed me that the following comment made by Melton was not aimed at Sydney FC fans.

"(Sydney FC manager Viteslav Lavicka) has been here for three years and been given an absolutely dignified farewell and given an opportunity to do what he needs to do for the rest of the year," the Sydney boss said.

"If people find any difficulty in that then they probably need to look in the mirror."

My previous column was somewhat sparked by the belief that Melton had aimed the "look in the mirror" comment at fans calling for Lavicka's sacking.

I read the Sydney CEO's remarks as a broadside aimed at anyone calling for Lavicka's removal. It seems that several other Sydney fans felt the same way, but Melton and Lucius have now said that the "people" being discussed were not Sydney fans or members. I accept this, apologize for assuming the aim of the quote (though I can't say that the context was particularly clear), and regret any confusion my column may have spread.

You can see Adam Lucius's Twitter profile here, and Dirk Melton's is found here. My Twitter profile is found here.

Readers of my column will note that it discusses other matters - notably Sydney FC's undignified recent form and the end of the option to sack Lavicka - which are separate to the issue of what must never be referred to as "Mirrorgate." The column will be left as it is, with a link to this article.

As always, your comments or tweets on this or other issues are always welcomed.

Postscript: Amid the sound and fury, it is quite remarkable that Dirk Melton found time late on a Monday night to write to me regarding my blog - an action above and beyond the duties of a CEO. For this and many other reasons, Sydney's front office seems to be in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment